09 February 2008

Shorty was hot like a toaster



If my LastFM accurately logged what I play on my iPod, it would show me listening to nothing but Low by Flo-Rida. I know this post may appear a bit lazy since I offered up Low in my previous post, but hear a girl out. The beat is contagious, infecting even the whitest of the white boys I know with groove fever (this has granted me the pleasure of watching them air smack an imaginary derriere to the line "give that big booty a smack." Picture that. Priceless, right?) I for one can not blame them. It's hard to listen to Low and not want to move--and I don't mean just head boppin' either. I mean shoulders, hips, and feet--the entire package digging into the groove, workin' it.

The other amazing quality this song possesses? You can not be angry while listening to it. I'm serious. Next time you're pissed off, play it. By the time it hits the end of the first chorus, if you're not sucked in and digging into the low's, then something is seriously fucking wrong with you. I'm not even kidding. The only feasible way for this song not to work its mojo on you is if you really have a passionate disliking for hip-hop (not unlike one of my housemates.)

With a grooveliscious song like Low, you'd expect some great remixes then, right? Wrong. Terribly, terribly wrong. Using the unholy-mp3-search-trinity of Google, Hype Machine, and Skreemr, I could only find a handful of remixes, none of which improved upon the original let alone outshone it. The remixes are awkward, and in my honest opinion, unimaginative. I'm sorry, but I've always been of the mindset that if you're going to do a remix, you need it to bring something to the (figurative) table that the orginal didn't. Don't half-ass it by just distorting the beat and slapping any old thing onto it. I mean what does one think they're going to accomplish by taking something as crisp as Low and reworking it with a bit of lo-fi disco?


Flo-Rida feat. T-Pain -- Low (DiscoRuido! Majikal Remix) [This ties with the Travis Barker gem below with being my least favourite]

Flo-Rida feat. T-Pain -- Low (Terror Dactel Remix) [MySpace page link]

Flo-Rida feat. T-Pain -- Low (Nick Catchdubs Stoopit Edit)

Flo-Rida feat. T-Pain -- Low (Travis Barker Studio Session Remix)

Flo-Rida feat. T-Pain -- Low (Remix feat. Pitbull) [By far the best of the remixes]

And here's the original to cure any anger you might be suffering from after listening to lame remixes:
Flo-Rida feat. T-Pain -- Low

No comments: