18 February 2008

Mix: Georgia, you know you've been on my mind



Working the night shift at a supermarket franchise, leaves one listening to the store "radio" when their iPod skitches out. This "radio" is on a loop, and about every three days or so, I will hear, in a period of nine hours, no less than four songs with my name in it. No fucking lie. The usual suspects?
-John Mayer -- Why, Georgia, Why
-Hanson -- Georgia
-Gladys Knight & The Pips -- Midnight Train to Georgia
-Ray Charles -- Georgia (On My Mind)

Hearing these songs on a regular basis prompted an idea: a mix of songs dealing with my name. Yes, while I would love to include classics like, Charlie Daniel's Band's "The Devil Went Down to Georgia," I am limiting this mix to songs strictly about a person, which, surprisingly, are more songs than you think. This mix may seem a bit narcissistic, but it's taken me years to embrace my name. People have sung Georgia (On My Mind) more times to me than I can count. Seriously, if I collected a penny from every other person who has sung it to me, I would be richer than Steve Jobs. Easily. It wasn't until a few summers ago that I learned the amazing powers of my name: cute guys will serenade me. Not just serenade me with any old song either, oh no, but a song with my name in it. Andre greeted me every morning at seven AM with that song, and didn't stop until I would leave at nine AM. His voice alone could melt butter, his voice crooning my name? Well, you could imagine...


Hanson -- Georgia

Audra Kubat -- Georgia

John Mayer -- Why, Georgia, Why

1900s -- Georgia

Johnny Rudgers -- Sweet Georgia Smile

Dirk Darmstaedter -- Walking Back To Georgia

Jonas Crenshaw -- Georgia Peach

Collective Soul -- Georgia Girl [this is cheating, sort of]

Anita O'Day -- Sweet Georgia Brown (Live)

Ray Charles -- Georgia (On My Mind) (Tittsworth Remix)

Ray Charles -- Georgia (On my Mind)

No comments: