17 February 2008

It ain't hard to tell, I excel, then prevail



Danger Mouse brought us The Grey Album, a mashup of Jay-Z's Black Album with the Beatles White Album. Now DJ Swindle brings us Almatic. A mashup of Al Green classics with some of Nas's best tracks. The title of course a play on Nas's seminal debut, Illmatic (which if you have never listened to, go educate yourself NOW). The awesomeness of this collaboration is not to be doubted. Upon first listen I was blown as to how well some of Green’s rhythms blend with Nas’s rhymes. His lyrics bouncing off Green’s robust grooves in such a way as to emphasize his rhymes. My favourite mashup is One Mic/You Ought to Be With Me--listen to it, it will change your life. All the mashes are pretty amazing, but that one is one that just stands out for me (perhaps because One Mic is one fo my favourite Nas tracks, who kows). I highly, highly, highly reccomend you download this album. The album is available as mp3 tracks on Swindle’s website below.

Nas Meets Al Green -- Almatic


Enjoy.

Also, if you want to experience more of Swindle's amazingness, check this out.

No comments: