16 April 2008

I'm not in love, I just wanna be touched




Kate Nash's album, Made of Bricks has been in heavy rotation on my 'Pod as of late. With Spring raging, the album only amplifies the sunshine. Poppy bits coupled with the piana and Kate's vocals, remind me of a visit to someone's beach house with everyone lazing about, as one of your friends sits at the piano, jamming away. A breakup album if ever there was one; a majority of Made of Bricks deals with with failed romance. However, Nash's sweet voice and poppin' piano melodies, manage to make Bricks maintain a feelgood vibe throughout with the saccharine delivery of lyrics like:
Yeah you make me merry make me very very happy
But you obviously, you didn't want to stick around
["Merry Happy"]

and

You've got that look in your eyes,
When I'm telling a story
And you find it boring you're thinking of something to say.
You'll go along with and then drop it
And you humiliate me, in front of our friends
["Foundations"]



While Nash takes jabs at ex's with witty lyrics, she also takes a few jabs at herself by exposing weaknesses in heart&soul-bearing tracks like "We Get On" and "Nicest Thing"--songs both dealing with obsession, crushing, and unrequited affection. With pop-indie sensibilities, and being cute as a button, Kate Nash is definitely slated for success (or at least Regina Spektor's fanbase.)


Kate covering The Supremes, "Baby Love" on Virgin Radio


Kate Nash -- Foundations

Kate Nash -- Birds

Kate Nash -- Stitching Leggings

Kate Nash -- Nicest Thing

Kate Nash -- I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend to Dance With You(Black Kids Cover)


I checked out remixes for her tunes and they were infinitely terrible. Normally I share bad remixes, noting they're terrible, but these were too bad to even acknowledge.

No comments: