31 March 2008

Respect's not given, it's earned



Michael Jackson: bringing people together since 1966. Friday night a new co-worker and I bonded over Michael Jackson. It began innocently enough with my blasting of some MJ tracks on my iPod, and escalated as co-worker overheard "The Girl is Mine" and remarked that it was his favourite Jackson tune. This lead to us not only discussing our favourite tunes, but albums as well--mine: Dangerous, his: Thriller. Having over five hours of the Gloved One's tunes on the iPod, kept the conversation and sing-a-longs going for most of our shift.

Listening to Dangerous last night brought back some of the best memories of my childhood as I was obsessed with the King of Pop. He was the first musician I took to on my own, without the influence of my siblings or parents. As I've said before, MTV was an everyday staple in our household, and since Michael Jackson was kind of a big deal throughout the late 80's and early 90's, you would have been hard pressed not to have watched at least one Michael Jackson video between the hours of 5am and 8am. He was the King of Pop--and for good reason. Flawless records with slick production, over-the-top music videos, brought together with crazy good dance skills--I mean, it was hard not to give the guy props.

It's been a while since MJ has received any good publicity, and with celebrating the 25th anniversary of Thriller, I think the time for a new album has arrived. According to his Wikipedia page, such a thing is in the works, and even slated to drop this year. With the right producers, and a slightly updated sound (think the last four tracks of Invincible). I mean, what better way to celebrate turning 50, then by releasing a new record and again reigning supreme as the King of Pop? Also? A new album would mean a new tour, and I've been dying to see him live since I was in kindergarten. It's sad to think talent like his has been sitting idle for nearly a decade.

The Jackson 5 -- The Love You Save

The Jackson 5 -- She's Good

The Jackson 5 -- Rockin' Robin

Michael Jackson -- Ben

Michael Jackson -- Everybody's Somebody's Fool

Michael Jackson -- Jam

Michael Jackson -- Gone Too Soon

Michael Jackson -- Dangerous

Michael Jackson -- Whatever Happens

Michael Jackson -- Privacy

Michael Jackson -- Ghosts

Michael Jackson -- Burn This Disco Out

Michael Jackson -- P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)

Michael Jackson -- Ain't No Sunshine

Michael Jackson -- Cinderella Stay Awhile

Michael Jackson -- Someone in the Dark

Michael Jackson -- They Don't Care About Us

Michael Jackson -- Morphine

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I can't wait for his new album! I have a feeling it will be 18 tracks long...