02 March 2008

Mix: Then they arrested everybody.


"I came back to save rock 'n' roll..."


Tom Stoppard & New York City--how can one's day get any better? Phenomenal play coupled with phenomenal music in good ol' New York Town. I had never read, let alone seen a play incorporate music as Rock 'N' Roll did. Stoppard is pretty specific throughout his masterpiece as to what songs should be used during blackouts. Each song emphasizing the scene that preceded it. I was going to scour through the play for a playlist of songs, but the playbill from the show saved me the trouble. There are a few differences, but they're minor. Now without further delay...

Syd Barrett -- Golden Hair

Bob Dylan -- I'll Be Your Baby Tonight

The Rolling Stones -- The Last Time

The Rolling Stones -- It's All Over Now

The Plastic People of the Universe -- The Universe Symphony and Melody

The Velvet Underground -- Venus in Furs

The Doors -- Break On Through (To the Other Side)

The Velvet Underground -- I'm Waiting For the Man

Pink Floyd -- Astronomy Domine

Syd Barrett -- Terrapin

Pink Floyd -- Jugband Blues

The Rolling Stones -- It's Only Rock 'n' Roll

The Grateful Dead -- Chinatown Shuffle

Pink Floyd -- Welcome to the Machine

The Beach Boys -- Wouldn't It Be Nice

U2 -- I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

Pink Floyd -- Wish You Were Here

John Lennon -- Give Peace a Chance

John Lennon -- Bring It On Home to Me

The Cure -- Boys Don't Cry

Pink Floyd -- Vera

The Rolling Stones -- You Got Me Rockin'