15 July 2008

I Held So Many People In My Suitcase Heart



Bare bones with just enough production to polish their sound and underscore their simple melodies, The Weepies have managed to create three über low-key-sunshine-mellow albums. Granted, their latest release Hideaway is noticeably less bare bones and more produced in sound, but the sentiment prevalent throughout their earlier works is still at the core of it.

Saccharine packed with heart and interesting metaphors, The Weepies songs lend themselves all too easily to mixtapes. "Somebody Loved," "Gotta Have You," and "Take It From Me" three prime examples of superb lovey mixtape centerpiece songs. The simplicity of the overall production of those songs packs them with a bigger emotional wallop. Those songs are the songs you send out because they're songs you wish somebody would think of whilst assembling a mixtape for you. They're gushy without being obnoxious.

I had stumbled upon "Somebody Loved" in summer '06, and being of the mushy hearted variety, quickly procured and aurally devoured the rest of the album, Say I Am You. In my opinion, Say I Am You is a quintessential summer album. On my desert island top 5 list of summer albums, Say I Am You would be number 2, second only to The Beach Boys, Pet Sounds. There are none in my book that trump The Beach Boys in summer tunes. None.

And to end this audiogasm, a few tunes...


Somebody Loved - The Weepies

Gotta Have You - The Weepies

A Painting By Chagall - The Weepies

Love Doesnt Last Too Long - The Weepies

How You Survived The War - The Weepies

All Good Things - The Weepies

No comments: