12 July 2008

I don't fall too easily



Paul Simon: one of my musical heroes since I was little. "59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin' Groovy)" has been one of my favourite tunes as long as I can remember. My mom was a Simon & Garfunkel fan, I remember summer nights on the porch, Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, & Thyme drifting out of the house as my mom cooked. While I love Art Garfunkel, it's impossible to deny that Simon was the driving force behind the duo. He wrote the songs. It was his heart and soul being poured into their simple melodies and lyrics. His solo career is even better than Simon & Garfunkel (and I am a giant Simon & The Funk fan). Varied in its sounds, incorporating blues, grassroots, gospel, African, and good old fashioned rock, just to name a few.

And I know everyone looks to The Beatles for simple love songs ("I Want to Hold Your Hand" being a personal favourite), but Simon's "Song For the Asking" oozes simplicity and vulnerability, that one can't help but want to fall in love with the next person they lay eyes on. And who can deny his poetic flair with words? "A Heart in New York," "Poem on the Underground Wall," "Sound of Silence"--just to name a few.


Paul Simon -- Kodachrome

Paul Simon -- Under African Skies

Paul Simon -- Love Me Like a Rock

Paul Simon -- Diamonds on the Sole of Her Shoes

Paul Simon -- Everything About It Is A Love Song

Paul Simon -- Peace, Like a River

Simon & Garfunkel -- Homeward Bound

Simon & Garfunkel -- I Am A Rock

Simon & Garfunkel -- Cecilia

Simon & Garfunkel -- El Condor Pasa

Simon & Garfunkel -- A Hazy Shade of Winter

Simon & Garfunkel -- The Dangling Conversation

Simon & Garfunkel -- Song For the Asking

No comments: