10 June 2008

You Weren't Lookin' For a Man When You Saw Me in the Sand, But You Fell for the Boy From the City




Oh, New Kids on the Block, the boy band that started it all. Though extremely young when the NKOTB craze was at an all-time high, I was still apart of it compliments of my older sister. At five years old, I could Hang Tough like nobody's business. I had the nightgown, the dolls, the posters, just about the whole fucking gamut. Sixteen years later, my boys are back. And not only are they together, but they've managed to release a new single (and video) as well--HUZZAH! "Summertime," released at the beginning of last month, has basically been on repeat since it first met my ears 13 or so hours ago. Nearly two decades have passed since the boys reigned supreme, and they're as addicting as ever. Jordan was my favourite, and he still has a piece of my heart. (I totally bought his solo album when he dropped it nearly a decade ago and played it until it broke).

"Summertime" is a fun, mellow ditty. Definitely a song for chilling in the sunshine. They updated their sound and vernacular without being awkward. I mean Joey croons "beach on lock" so smoothly, that one can almost forget they were a big deal in the late 80's, and take them as a new act.


New Kids on the Block -- Summertime

The video is absolutely my favourite, demonstrating how grown my boys are. I like how they have a little introduction for each for each of the guys with their name (like one could forget). But the absolute best part of this video? Group dancing at the end. Ugh, how my pop-whore heart is a sucker for boy bands.

No comments: