06 June 2008

"I want all the ladies onstage!"

M.I.A. performing atop speakers near the end of the McCaren Park concert


First, let me say that McCaren Park Pool is a venue I recommend experiencing at least once, if only for the novelty of standing in a giant ass abandoned pool. Also happy to report that I managed to sell my ticket to a gaggle of Brooklynites, who then graciously took me under their wings when they found out I was alone. Only in New York, folks.

My lesbian crush on Ms. Arulpragasam has been tripled after tonight's events. The concert in itself was an orgy of colour and sound. Once it hit 6:45, the music was nearly non-stop with a ten minute when Holy Fuck was taking down their set. It all began with one DJ, whose name escapes me at the moment, he was alright. Then came Holy Fuck, a pseudo-psychedelic/trance/rock/electronic/grunge quartet, whose rhythm's almost always fell into the same beat, and often sounded lifted from a James Brown song. Then my main man Diplo came on for a bit. Monkeying around onstage for about a half hour to forty-five minutes in an Elmo suit. G-d, I love him. Then, of course, came the brilliant fluorescent rainbow that is M.I.A. herself. I phenomengasmed. She sounds great on record, she sounds amazing live, especially with the show she puts on. Between the visuals that continuously played on the scren behind her to the lights, to the handful of dancers she had onstage with her, (and with the help of a contact high) this blogger couldn't keep her eyes on one section of the stage too long.

The best part of the show? When M.I.A. called up all the ladies onstage to dance. Yours truly was hesitant at first, but with a little coaxing from a drunken stranger, I hopped up. Good thing I did, for I got to dance with the hot piece that is M.I.A.. I could have died happily at that moment. Dancing (spazztically, I assure you) near the back of the 80 or so ladies onstage, I wasn't expecting the diva herself to wander back there, but she did! Singing and dancing, M.I.A. made sure to mingle with all the fans who made it up there. And when she came next to me shaking and gyrating, I really could have died.

For her encore she performed "Paper Planes," having her cronies on the side fly, you guessed it, paper airplanes into the crowd. Only later, upon further inspection, did I realise that the airplanes were a special invite to the official after party. Having realised this two stops from home, I was a little upset, but comforted myself in images of a gyrating M.I.A.. Homegirl was selling some hot t-shirts too, but I refused to spend $40 on a t-shirt when the tickets didn't even cost that much. I did however manage to sneak away with a few souvenirs.

Souvenirs.



The horn is my favourite, even if I got pelted in the head with it.


M.I.A. -- Paper Planes


M.I.A. -- BOYZ


M.I.A. -- Sunshowers



M.I.A. -- Jimmy




NOTE: I actually had to stop typing this up, and save it for the morning--that's how beastly my contact high was. Fucking stoners.

No comments: